It’s simply amazing how many drivers change lanes, merge or turn all without using their turn signals. And it’s not just limited to the public; I’ve even seen police officers fail to signal.

CHP Officer Jon Sloat said not only is using you turn signals the safe thing to do, it’s the law. But why don’t people do it?

“I have no idea,” said Sloat, who agreed more and more drivers aren’t signaling. “If your movement is going to affect another car, then you’re suppose to signal.”

He speculated that most people don’t realize that not signaling is considered a moving violation and, as a result, just don’t think about signaling.

Roileen Miller of Miller Driving School in Cotati also finds the lack of signaling perplexing.

“I drive everywhere. I drive eight hours a day, and I’m amazed by the number of people who don’t use their turn signals,” Miller said.

She noted drivers must use their turn signals even when in a dedicated turn lane, although she said she sees many who don’t.

Miller said she emphasizes to her student drivers that they must signal every time they turn or merge — a point that Sloat said he makes when giving driver training to CHP officers.

“I believe for some people that after driving for so long that they stop thinking” about their driving techniques or skills, Miller said. “They just get in and go and not think about their driving anymore … They don’t realize how dangerous it is not to signal.”

Of course, on the other extreme are drivers who forget to turn off their turn signals as they merrily drive along.

Comments

1. greg

Way to often the use of a turn signal when making moves on the freeway is met with another car immediately accelerating into the intended postition to keep the turner from assuming a postition in front. It often a situation that happens repeatedly and more frequently the closer one is to the bay area.

June 10th, 2010 7:53 am

2. Smurf

Unfortunately I think it also stems from the fact that if you indicate your intention to change lanes, the driver behind you in the other lane gets this attitude of, “oh no you don’t! You’re not getting in front of me!” and they speed up, making it impossible for you to change lanes. So, sadly, you stand a better chance of being able to change lanes if you don’t convey your intention. Drivers these days show an astounding lack of courtesy. It’s gotten to the point that when I slow to let a drive onto the freeway from an onramp, that they get confused by my willingness to let them in, so they slow even more, then I slow, then they slow……they simply cannot fathom someone being kind! How sad is that??

June 10th, 2010 8:00 am

3. Rummy Dummy

While these situations may happen, it does nothing to explain the number of people who will come to a complete halt in the middle of the lane, without signaling, to make a turn. Sometimes, just to rub it in, they turn on their blinker AFTER starting the turn. I see these every time I drive, usually 3-4 times.

June 10th, 2010 10:56 am

4. BRAY

Smurf- Please read a DMV driving manual. what you just described is one of the most dangerous things to do on the freeway.

When you are in the “slow” lane and a car is trying to merge you either move to left, using your blinker of course, or you ACCELERATE in front of the merging car, YOU DON”T SLOW DOWN.

This is not just my opinion, it is fact, check it out. What is really sad is you feel you’re trying to be kind, when in fact you being ignorant and UNSAFE to all of the drivers behind you. It drives me nuts with all of these people who sometimes come to a complete stop, “So I could let this 1 person in” when they are just pissing off 5 or 6 others in the process, not to mention being UNSAFE as well. Please, Please get a clue.

June 10th, 2010 12:07 pm

5. Stacy Without An E

The fact of the matter is we have become a bloated, clinically obese society of slack jawed knuckleheads. We are now too immensely lazy to burn half a calorie moving our flabby arm to move a little stick two inches to indicate which direction we’re turning.

Have a little sense, think about someone else for a change, and use your blinker.

June 10th, 2010 7:23 pm

6. by rena

It’s like an effort to most people my grandfather used to say it’s just a decoration for people to hang air freshners from, boy is that true.

June 10th, 2010 7:36 pm

7. shawna

I believe that the public is really at a time where emotionally, they feel the world really does revolve around them & they’re just too busy on their cell phones, smoking or yelling at their kids to follow all of the driving laws. Plus, I think that drivers just get used to driving a particular route all the time & they think they know how all of the drivers on that route drive & they start to feel too safe & invincible

June 10th, 2010 8:11 pm

8. smartcookie

I live in Roseland. I see immigrants who have no idea how to properly use a turn signal. It’s pretty easy to pick out the unlicensed drivers.

June 10th, 2010 8:26 pm

9. Steele

The answer is VERY simple, there are no turn signal rules in Mexico. There is no right turn allowed on a red light in Mexico. Watch and it will become VERY clear what the problem is.

June 10th, 2010 8:55 pm

10. Ryan

I had this happen today. A lady in the opposite direction of travel got to the stop sign before I stopped. We both start rolling at the same time and instead of going straight, she starts turning in front of me. She stopped as I drove past her and I could see her mouth a profanity as she glared at me. If she would have used her turn signal, I would have know she was turning and not entered the intersection until she drove through. Is it still considered an accident if the person at fault did the stupid move that caused the collision?

June 10th, 2010 10:57 pm

11. Richard Privette

I, too, hate people that do not use their turn signals.

On the freeways you see these “Click it or Ticket” signs.

Why isn’t there something similar for turn signals. Illegal is illega, period.

“Don’t use Turn Signals?”
    “Look for Ticket”

June 10th, 2010 11:44 pm

12. Bijan

The amazing thing about driving is that we all believe our style, decisions and judgment are the best, and that everyone else just plain sucks at driving. In reality, whether or not your driving record is flawless or deplorable, we all engage in actions, subtle or not, that piss other drivers off. I think the trick is that people need to LEAVE EARLIER, which I am horrible at, and be more tolerant. Every day I have aggressive and rude drivers, usually males, although females do it too, speed up to pass me, only to be riding the car in front of theirs bumper. Even though I could honk my horn and probably beat the guy up, I let it go and laugh, and let the driver in front of me realize their mistake, with me comfortably in their rear view. My point is this: We can all be a little more tolerant, and a little safer.

June 11th, 2010 12:17 am

13. ralph

wow! iv’e even seen chp not following the law? yes! new state law when it is raining or foggy,and you are also required to have your headlight’s on?? we could go on with more but it is not worth talking about.

June 11th, 2010 6:52 am

14. L Cramer

I buy the argument that since some drivers quickly “close the gap” when they see someone signal their intent to merge in front of them, so it’s better not to signal . . . . . on a crowded road. But what about all the other times when (especially) California drivers don’t signal their intent to turn or merge? Not signaling has become the norm on all roads in this state, congested or practically empty. Something more is going on here.

As busy as police are, it’s time for a some vehicle code enforcement! Tickets have a purpose beyond raising revenue; they should also be about changing the behavior of bad drivers.

June 11th, 2010 7:03 am

15. svo

A visitor from Mars, observing driving behavior, might conclude that using a turn signal is illegal. The alien might also think that the few people who do signal are willing to risk arrest.
    There are other rare driving behaviors that would mystify the Martian, such as leaving plenty of space in front of you, and moving to the right lane to let others pass.
    And cops signaling? That’s about as rare as going the speed limit.

June 11th, 2010 7:26 am

16. Dale

While years ago it was only BMWs who’s signals didn’t work, now its
    many makes and models. For a long time I just figured that BMWs didn’t include turn signals as standard equipment. I guess it was just the drivers feeling that they were superior to the rest of us..
    I just spent 3 months in the Ft. Worth, TX area. Now there are some bad drivers!

June 11th, 2010 7:58 am

17. Trish

BRAY- I just tried to find the passage in the DMV’s online Driver Handbook that reads one must not slow down to allow incoming cars to merge on to the freeway and I could not find it. I then searched the California Vehicle Code and found this:

[i]21804. (a) The driver of any vehicle about to enter or cross a highway from any public or private property, or from an alley, shall yield the right-of-way to all traffic, as defined in Section 620, approaching on the highway close enough to constitute an immediate hazard, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to that traffic until he or she can proceed with reasonable safety.
    (b) A driver having yielded as prescribed in subdivision (a) may proceed to enter or cross the highway, [b]and the drivers of all other vehicles approaching on the highway shall yield the right of-way to the vehicle entering or crossing the intersection.[/b] [/i]

Can you please point out the page or section where your alleged directive exists? Or are you just making it up?

I slow down to allow incoming cars as necessary. If you’re in the right-most lane on the freeway, you should expect and anticipate, especially with the continuous freeway reconstructions on 101, that you will have to adjust your speed to accomodate merging vehicles. There are times when it’s impossible to accelerate fast enough and one has no choice but to slow or cause a collision.

June 11th, 2010 8:07 am

18. Kim

OMG – I read the comments from this article… really?!? People have become this shallow? How insane. Sadly, failure to use a signal is not confined to Santa Rosa, or even California. Its a phenomenon that is sweeping the Nation. And I seriously don’t think it is dependent on race, sex or anything other than stupidity.

It always amazes me that people think they are “entitled” to do whatever they think they please. If that is your thought move to a deserted island PLEASE!

June 11th, 2010 9:59 am

19. Brenda

Don’t forget those drivers who think that just 1 blink of thier signal is obeying the law. My Ex would push the turn signal just enough to let it blink once and then be done. He would say that he used his signal and if they didn’t see it then it is thier fault. Drive me nuts I tell you.

June 11th, 2010 10:06 am

20. bats555

I don’t understand it either, I guess these drivers think we can read their minds when they come scooting into our lane. I think they should have a new law to make it “illegal to drive without brains!!!”

June 11th, 2010 2:30 pm

21. JP

Turn signals?! When will the conversation about ignoring stop signs, especially when turning right, starts. On my short drive to and from work I pass through three stop signs – RARELY do I see people stop. I feel like and idiot and target when I do come to a full stop and have on more than one occasion been honked at and flipped off for obeying the law… Don’t even want to start what it’s like when I ride my bike (yes, I still stop at the stop signs).

June 11th, 2010 3:29 pm

22. treeamigo

The absence of turn signals I can live with. Though a simple way to encourage compliance with that law would be for police to enforce it. Of course, then maybe the police would have to start obeying the law when it comes to making complete stops and using turn signals- I’ll believe that when I see it.

The biggest issue on the road is drivers hogging the passing (left) lanes on the highways. Californians appear to be the worst drivers in the country when it comes to keeping right. 101 and 80 would be a lot less jammed if drivers simply kept right except when passing.

June 12th, 2010 12:38 pm

23. speeder

My favorite incident happened as I was traveling in the right lane of a 2 lane road, a pickup truck towing a boat in the left lane suddenly ‘signaled’ with a sudden lane change towards my car and of course I slowed to avoid the near collision and honked my horn. He swerved back, accelerated forward, signaled and swooped into the right lane and skidded to a stop where he then got out of the truck screaming that I almost hit him!!

June 14th, 2010 12:44 pm

24. CJ

The reason? Sefish and self centered. Also of those that don’t use signals many if you notice are on the phone as in the phone to their ear, which I see all too often even now that its against the law. Some are drunk and or high. Some are just too tired to care. All of those reasons equal; selfish. No one cares about anyone but themselves anymore and what they need to do, where they need to be. They never stop to think that a wreck will affect them and others. So much are they in their own little me, me, I , I worlds they have no regard for the law either. Stiffer fines and people might actually learn to get a clue. Right now heaven forbid you even motion to someone to get off the phone because maybe they’re swerving and almost into you, or on the gas, on the brake, or no signal,beause those people get all pissed off like they have the right to. I like it when I try tell someone their blinkers been on. Those people get all pissy to especially if they’re on the phone.

June 14th, 2010 4:32 pm

25. survivor

Okay why stop at just commenting about the increasing lack of signal use when there is an epidemic of red light violations, reckless/clueless passing, driving under the influence – cell phone, drugs, etc.

Not only do people forget to use their signals when turning but they hog as much road up in the process that it is a violation of the vehicle code – FAILURE TO YIELD RIGHT OF WAY.

Americans are some of the most unconscious drivers in the world – but we are “free” to do whatever we want aren’t we.

June 14th, 2010 4:52 pm

26. Roy Jenks

There is a clear and present danger presented by drivers not using turn signals. It is in fact an epidemic, especially in North Carolina. The law is often not obeyed by police officers, who should be role models. It is a legal and public health problem, which should not be tolerated. It has the potential to invite road rage. Does anybody care? Has a ticket been given in the past twenty years? Are judges the problem? Is there any organization that is trying to do something about it.?

by RJ

June 20th, 2010 1:56 pm

27. biker

I ride a motorcycle and agree with some of the other posters (that cars tend to try and close the gap to prevent you getting in fornt of them). For that reason, even if fairly heavy traffic, I tend not to use my signals. The one exception is when I’m making a left from a lane of moving traffic, I ALWAYS make sure to turn on my signal before braking in front of a car

For us 2-wheelers, it just makes more sense to do what we’re going to do…chances are, I’ll be back out of your way in a moment anyways.
    And yes, I must admit a certain hesitation to use the turn signals because I do not want to forget, and then figure out 20 minutes later that my signal has been on the whole time

September 23rd, 2010 11:55 am

28. Jamie

We learn to use our blinkers as teen drivers from our parents, do we not? I know I did. Blinkers are not optional equipment on vehicles, every moving vehicle has them. USE THEM!

October 8th, 2010 1:47 pm

29. JF

I don’t think this is just in California, it’s everywhere… I live in Minnesota now, moved from New Mexico, I thought people were bad drivers in New Mexico but oh my gosh, they can’t drive up here, maybe 50% of people use their turn signal and the same for police, it’s a 50/50 who use them and not use them.

I have been trying to get an answer from the chief of police, but as Sloat said, more and more people just either 1) don’t care or 2) get in the groove and go and don’t think about others in traffic.

That is why we have just had 3 accidents involving pedestrians and cars, cars don’t signal and turn anyways, people get run over.

December 8th, 2010 5:58 am

30. Drew

Ok, can’t read all these posts but I had searched “Why don’t people use turn signals anymore?”… Ummm, lets see, here in VA it’s endemic and it seems to more than the self absorbed younger people. I would say cell phones have a lot to do with it, you know, the same jerks that cost you your turn at making the green light. I condemn the police for not enforcing the law, esp egregious lack of signaling and also red light runnning(another similar prob). How bout all these people that think they’re entitled to merge into traffic. Helloo?? an acceleration ramp is implied yield folks. It’s only a courtesy for a driver to move over it possible or slow if nobody is close behind. Can’t merge, than you STOP. What non turn signal use amounts to is sheer lazyness and the continued dumbing/breaking down of our society…

February 20th, 2011 9:08 am

31. John

Look if you don’t signal I don’t know what you are doing till you do it. It shortens my ability to compensate. I’ve had friends, family, and myself thrown into accident situations as a result of someone randomly changing lanes without a signal.

On the freeway, if you have zoomed up to try and get ahead in the right lane and you want to cut me off I will not let you in. Why, because I don’t allow cutters. However, if you are proceeding safely and signal I’ll be more than happy to let you merge over even if it means that I face a reduction in speed as a result of physics and safety. I fear people here are justifying not signaling when changing lanes because they are in fact doing something else that is unsafe and impolite.

Lastly, what is really bad is when someone is in a right turn lane and decides to cut across 4 lanes to make a left without a signal at the last second. This is insane and stupid beyond belief and I see it all the time. The proper thing to do is to make the right find a place to turn around safely and then go the direction you want. Not endanger everyone because you can’t be bothered to think ahead.

March 23rd, 2011 12:46 pm

32. Doug

Often when people do use their signal, they have made no consideration of how it would impact the other drivers and flow of traffic. Many time I will be about to pass another car on the freeway going about 5 mph faster and less than a second before overtaking, when suddenly that signal goes on. Do I brake suddenly because that person intends to move over and hasn’t seen my vehicle, or do I ignore the signal because that driver has a more general intent of moving over “sometime”? Please signal when you see the space that you are ready to move into.

March 24th, 2011 10:52 am

33. SoCo Driver

When a vehicle turns without an indicator I give them a hand signal of a “flashing light’ – opening my hand wide and then closing it into a fist in rapid succession. I also flash my headlights to oncoming cars to let them know that they need to turn their headlights on at dusk or on a day when they’re using their wipers. Evidently not only do these drivers not know to properly use turn signals or headlights appropriately, they also are too darn stupid to know when another driver is trying to alert them to their behavior.

April 13th, 2011 12:03 pm

34. Evette

Agreed: People who don’t use turn signals to indicate lane changes and even full 90 degree turns are a the next road hazards after cell phones/texter and people who wolf down entire meals while driving. It’s hard to understand what these people are thinking (if anything at all), and the lame excuse of not signaling because the other driver won’t let you in? It’s called planning ahead and giving yourself more time to make your move. I’ve been driving for nearly 30 years and religiously use my signal and yes, sometimes you get a nimrod who decides he/she won’t let you in, but to follow one rude, dangerous move with another is sheer stupidity. This non-signalling epidemic is all over the country. On a spring break road trip from Illinois to Alabama this year, it was quite evident, drivers from various demographics driving all types of vehicles were failing to signal. Sports and luxury cars (no surprise there), minivans (surprising!) even semi-trucks, weaving in and out of lanes of fast moving traffic without a second thought. Makes you wonder that if they can’t even be bothered to signal their intent to other drivers, what else are they forgetting to do (check blind spot, survey the driving landscape for a quick exit if needed, paying attention in general). Now the question is how can we get law enforcement and/or insurance entities to drive (sorry for the pun) home the point of using signals and how it makes the roads safer?

May 2nd, 2011 7:40 am

35. noname

just flash signal once then QUICKLY change lanes then people won’t cut you off i got in a accident because I didnt change fast enough and someone cut me off and slammed right into my side so now I just flash once then get into the other lane as fast as possible so they cant cut me off!!!

May 10th, 2011 11:48 am

36. Cyber Muggle

I’m on the road and I get my share of getting cut off all the time. it’s not a safe practice to be lame with your turn signal. It’s show your intention and makes other drivers aware of it. By the way, patrol cars are not exempt, they are guilty too.

June 13th, 2011 12:24 am

37. George Curran

Every law enforcement driver who neglects to signal sprinkles holy water on at least 10 who saw him. Also selective law enforcement is to blame. What law enforcement officer wants to chase someone who is too lazy or stupid to signal? There’s insufficient incentive for this duty.

July 10th, 2011 4:07 pm

38. eleanor

Well I can tell you that last night a car merging onto 101 sped up to catch up to my speed and actuall scraped the front of my car so slowing down can also help prevent this kind of situation.

July 11th, 2011 10:33 pm

39. J Reppert

When a driver changes lanes and it results in the car behind, hitting the brakes, it should be a traffic violation. Driving from Novato to Santa Rosa daily, I am amazed by vehicles that change lanes from 10-20 times and then end up right by me when I exit the highway. Every time you change lanes you increase your chance of an accident.

July 17th, 2011 7:44 pm

40. Michelle

I live in VA and I, will say driving here is very UNSAFE. The EMERENCY Vehicles- Fire Trucks, Police, Ambulance etc. do not use their signal lights. Let’s not forget the School Bus Driver’s . The way in which people drive now they do not need the BIG RED STOP SIGNS they drive as if they should not be there. Drivers do a roll pass thru the SIGNS and do not come to a complete stop. This type of driving has gone unaddressed for far too long. Our state’s Legislators know it’s a big problem but do nothing about it. I have not heard one state legislator address this problem.
    Today 8-26-11 I was cut off by a driver, they gave no signal they just came over as if it was their daily driving. I blow my horn (yah right) the driver kept coming over as if it was their ROAD. I quickly apply my brakes and my children were in the back seat with their safety seat and seat belts on. This driver knew they wanted to get over before time, infact there were no cars behind me.
    Safety Laws are passed by Legislation why can’t one be passed if a person cuts another off while driving and no signal light used.
    How about the driver whom was cut off gets the other driver’s license no., time of day, location and a possible description of the driver and report it to the Police Department unsafe diving/or driver ( cameras are used to take pictures of drives running red lights). Often times when a person passes me unsafely we end up at the light or stop sign together. I know it will never happen. But something needs to be done about these noncaring drivers. Note: I told a Police Officer about what happen to me today and they replied all just forget about it you will be just tied up in court. But what if the tables were turned and his children were in the car with him and a reckless driver caused serious bodly injury to them. God forbidden him or anyone elses children or family member getting hurt. Always Remember Accidents can be Avoid Please does anyone have an idea to help find a way to make our Highways Safe/ and make Legislation listern. This has got to STOP..

August 27th, 2011 2:11 am

41. John

In summary to all the posts: I hate everyone, especially the ones that do not use a turn indicator. Suck it all you non-turn indicator users! The people that don’t use turn indicators are the same people that don’t clean up their mess at the condiment counter at Starbucks. Wipe the counter off if you spill half and half or sugar when doctoring up your coffee.

September 4th, 2011 1:26 pm

42. Jackie

How to make drivers more courteous ? Forget it – we are what we are……up front and outspoken.
    How to make traffic laws respected ? Forget it – we are what we are …..
    BUT …..if Drivers ed and the CA Driving Test became a program dedicated to the Farmers Lane – Sebastapol Main Street, Hwy 12 section ….then at least we will all be experiencing every aspect of road use that today’s vehicle operators throw at us every minute of every day. And, Good Luck !

September 24th, 2011 9:09 am

43. Jackie

Why don’t turn signals get used ?
    That takes my focus off other interests.
    It wears out the light.
    Oh, is that what that little stick is for?
    I was keeping my eyes on the road.
    I was figuring out which way would be quickest.

All of the above …..

September 24th, 2011 9:16 am

44. Mark

I’m tired of drivers not signaling. If I were about to be a serial killer, I’d kill the people that don’t signal!

September 26th, 2011 9:23 am

45. Roy Jenks

The question should be why are turn signal laws not enforced. If people choose to violate turn signal laws they should pay for their dysfunctinal behaviors with fines. I guess the cities have to much money, so they do not want the money fines would bring. Maybe the roads are to safe. The police do not want to increase safety.

October 7th, 2011 8:24 pm

46. Llisa

Two reasons:
    1. They will not let you in if they see you signal when trying to change lanes. I’ve learned this the hard way.
    2. Some people are too “cool” or lazy to signal. This is especially stupid at 4-way stop signs, but it happens.

February 25th, 2012 12:39 am

47. Deadeddie

When changin lanes on the freeway: signal, check your mirrors, look over your shoulder in your blind spot, then proceed to change lanes. Do this and the person next to you will have plenty of time to speed up and you can get behind them no problem. Signaling while you change lanes is basically the same as not signaling at all.

February 27th, 2012 11:32 am

48. Pat

It’s rare to see a turn signal. It’s good communication;; alot better than weaving in and out so the only communication is the middle finger.

March 1st, 2012 11:53 am

49. Eric

Miami driver’s don’t even kown that exist turn signals

March 30th, 2012 8:12 am

50. Gary

I live in Australia and the lack of indication here has become an epidemic. Even by the police. It’s absolutely unbelievable.
    I have followed people for more than 4kilometres and seen them turn at intersections, use roundabouts, change lanes and merge without signalling even once. It cannot be that their indicators are not working, as they indicated after the 4kilometres to turn into a shop. Wow, how thoughtful.
    The excuse of “if I indicate the other guy will close the gap” is complete b——-. I know that people do this and will close the gap. This just proves why nobody has courtesy on the road anymore. Why? Because most of the western population is selfish and only consider themselves. Along with certain Asian countries.
    But not Japan. It’s an absolute pleasure to drive in Japan. People obey the rules and have shame if they do something wrong. I just pray that they don’t look up to western culture too much and remain proud of their strict behaviour.

April 1st, 2012 12:03 am

51. Mark

I always use my turn signal. (Yay, good for me). Not only as a courtesy, but because if another driver were to hit me when making the turn, my turn signal use (or lack thereof) would really matter concerning my culpability in the police report.
    -Another turning thing: See that dashed line in the bike lane before the turn? The law sates that you must MERGE INTO THE BIKE LANE before turning. Most people just cut across the bike lane when negotiating a turn.

May 27th, 2012 11:22 am

52. Roy Jenks

The Society of Automotive Engineers has conducted research and determined that turn signal neglect has led to 2 million crashes a year. In Virginia, you can be fined $350 for 3 yearas if you violate this law. Read “Did’nt Use Your Turn Signal? That”LL be $1050 please.

June 3rd, 2012 7:57 pm

53. chuck g

Why use turn signals? Like everything else there is not enough law enforcement on the freeways, highways, and city streets to enforce the laws. Just look at how many inconsiderate individuals continue to use cell phones while driving, why not? Because there is no one to stop them. That car driving in front of you swerving in different directions is one of two things; a drunk driver, or someone texting while driving. How about that person who runs the same signal on a regular basis because they’re running late because they stopped off to get their daily fix of Starbuck coffee setting them back 10 minutes. I’m sick and tired of all the selfish,inconsiderate drivers in Sonoma County and everywhere for that matter. Did you ever wonder why your Insurance rates continue to go up year after year even though you have a spotless driving record? Its because of the risks you take on the road with all the moron’s who continue to drive the same reckless way each day putting us all in harm’s way.

June 5th, 2012 11:36 am

54. Roy Jenks

For a long time now the turn sigal laws have beem regarded as a joke by the police and the public. The Society of Automotive Engineers conducted research and found that 2 million accidents a year occur because someone did’nt use a turn signal. The road will not be safe until there are significant consequences. The public will not care until the time comes for them to be care. While we were not looking the time did come.

July 5th, 2012 11:11 am

55. Roy Jenks

Despite the fact that recent research conducted by The Socity of Automotive Engineers has proven that two million accidents a year are caused by drivers who nelect to use turn signals, drivers continue to demonstrate the same dysfunctional behaviors.

July 6th, 2012 4:56 pm

56. Let's make it campaign

Wow, I just realized that not only this is phenomenon in U.S, but also in worldwide. I live in California. Southern part exactly. I always thought it would be CA thing, but after reading comments, I realized that it happens nationwide (U.S). It was also shocking that some other countries have similar phenomenon like Australia. I guess, now it is officially becoming world thing.

July 26th, 2012 4:09 pm

57. jib

Here in DC we have this “smooth operator” initiative. You get called in using your brain passing people but the govt drones driving around slowing down the left lane and merging without a blinker prevail. I say screw the politically correct and least common denominator win mentality these programs are made for. Good to be rough and sharp. I just see a bunch of self centered flab in our country. Anyone like that I enjoy roughing up now and then. Keep them on their toes – grin.

August 29th, 2012 9:51 pm

58. HW

People are just behaving stupidly and are idiots. Must be this new era of SELF-ENTITLEMENT, selfishness, don’t give a —- about anybody but moi!

December 22nd, 2012 3:25 pm

59. JM

during 52 years of driving a car – I’ve often wondered WHY drivers CHOOSE not to use turn signals. My observations seem to support that 1) they haven’t really decided which way they will go or 2) they want to see which direction a other vehicles are moving in so that they can move quick to ‘ beat them to it’…..

January 1st, 2013 11:39 am

60. rk

I hate people changing lanes without using their signal. If it’s a moving violation as stated here, why aren’t the cops EVER giving tickets for this violation? Just because the person behind might speed up after you indicate to change lanes, that’s not a rational reason to not indicate at all. I am sick of people cutting so close in front of me without using their signal. In fact, my policy is that if someone uses their signal, I always let them change into my lane just to appreciate their courtesy. If someone tries to cut in front of me without using their signal, then I may or may not let them in. MI drivers are the worst I feel when it comes to this behavior of never using signals.

March 13th, 2013 6:56 am

61. UsedToCommute

I guess the only solution would be to have cameras everywhere. I got so tired of being cut off by traffic offenders, having my front end wrecked because someone turned in front of me, that I stopped driving and took a minimum wage job close to home. Too scared to drive anymore, period. BTW, has good spelling gone out the window as well as courtesy to others?

March 26th, 2013 12:46 pm

62. Anonymous

I typically don’t use turn signals because people antagonize you for it (i.e. speeding up to stop you from changing lanes). Just yesterday someone honked at me when I tried to change lanes in stop and go traffic. (Of course I have zero tolerance for this behavior nowadays and continued anyway, flipped him off, and dared him to rear end me. He didn’t.)

At stop signs, I don’t use turn signals if I’m making a left turn and an oncoming car is going straight. With a turn signal, I wave them through only for them to wave me through, and then we both waste time figuring out who is actually going to start moving. Without a turn signal, they just go like they’re supposed to.

So, ironically, I’ve found turn signals break the flow of traffic due to both too much courtesy and not enough courtesy. I have had no issues since I stopped using them.

May 15th, 2013 8:58 pm

63. Mark

I’m a motorcyclist. I assume that when I’m passing you that you intend to perform an unsignalled lane change and am ready to react. When proceeding through a 4 way stop, I assume you will make an unsignalled left turn in front of me. If I’m going straight and you’re to my right in a straight only lane, I assume you really want to turn left and am prepared to react. My life and limbs depend on this vigilance.

Not all vehicle operators ride as defensively as me. If you don’t use your signals and check your blind spots, you’re probably going to seriously hurt yourself or another vehicle operator. Please, communicate your intentions and check your blind spots.

July 7th, 2013 6:46 am

64. Amy Allen

Anonymous

Anonymous that is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read.

August 21st, 2013 1:12 pm

65. Amy Allen

Just yesterday I came to a 4 way stop. By the looks of things, both myself and the car across from me were going straight through the intersection, but NO, she starts turning left, and I narrowly avoided a collision. She had the nerve to to flail her arms and mouth cuss words at me for her failure to indicate she was turning. The unwillingness to accept responsibility for your actions in society today is of great concern to me. I experience events like this all the time, and it doesn’t seem to matter what their age, gender, race or make of car is. The only thing I can see making a difference is if law enforcement actually enforces this law. If people can get away with something, then they usually will keep doing it until they are caught.

I have on rare occasion, if given the right set of circumstances, kindly said ‘excuse me, I think you’re turn signal light is broken’ and if they say ‘no it’s not’ then I say ‘oh, well then you’re just an inconsiderate, selfish a-hole’ and go about my merry way. They never see that coming when it’s delivered with a smile and the look on their face is worth it =)

August 21st, 2013 1:22 pm

66. Nick S

Anonymous and all others who have chosen to never use turn signals- This driving behavior/habit is as foolish, dangerous, selfish and inconsiderate as someone who always gets on an elevator or bus BEFORE letting passengers get out of the elevator or off the bus first. Kudos to Amy Allen for intelligently written comments, i couldn’t agree with you more. Indeed, Anonymous’s comment was one of the most pathetic and absurd things I’ve ever read.

August 23rd, 2013 9:09 pm

67. Kevin T

Look at all of the hypocritical fools trying to validate their lack of signaling.

They say they’re afraid of other drivers accelerating to take their intended spot in an adjacent lane (which is indeed an abhorrent act), but changing lanes without signaling is JUST as dangerous and inconsiderate. It makes you equally as bad as those you fear.

One must care about other drivers as much as they do about themselves. In other words, don’t drive around like a jerkwad committing to full-on oral respiration.

A TRUE man (or woman) has respect for his fellow drivers. Driving around hectically, weaving, in defiance of traffic laws does not make you “cool.” It makes you look like a pitiful, angsty teenager.

September 30th, 2013 1:58 pm

68. Jeanette

In SanFrancisco,if Police stop you for something,and your license is suspended,or you never had one,a citation is given,and you drive on

October 22nd, 2013 11:05 am

69. tim

i get soo mad too. i wish there was medication to make me not care about people not signaling. i often follow too close just to keep the lane tight but i hate to tailgate. im going to strap a pie thrower on the front of my car to make me feel better.

March 28th, 2014 6:56 pm