Here’s my Christmas wish list for all of us who drive:
1. That everyone always use their blinkers when switching lanes or turning. Besides being the law, it’s just plain nice to give me some warning before you suddenly move into my lane.
2. That Caltrans finally raises the speed limit on Highway 101 between Santa Rosa and Windsor back to 65. It seems that nearly everyone is doing it already, so why wait. (UPDATE: This wish was granted today — after this list was posted — by Caltrans.)
3. That widening of 101 in Rohnert Park and Cotati goes much faster than anticipated. Being hemmed in on both sides by K-rails is just too much for some drivers.
4. That drivers stop holding their cell phones while driving. Too often you’re the one I see not paying attention — going slow or weaving a bit.
5. That local police agencies crack down on illegal cell phone use, not just the occasional stepped up enforcement, but all the time. And that officers set an example and use their cell phones for only official use.
6. That car pool lane hours be shortened. Car pooling is a great idea, but if Caltrans shaved a half hour or so off the morning and evening times, it couldn’t but help ease the congestion in the other two lanes.
7. That bicyclists follow the rules of the road. Pay attention for traffic behind you and move over when safe to let cars pass. And as for those bicyclists who blow through stop signs and stop lights, you’re living on borrowed time.
8. That drivers be extra cautious when encountering bicyclists and when passing. Put yourself in the bicyclist’s place: How close or fast would you want someone to pass you?
9. That Sonoma County’s elected officials work to keep up most of the county’s roads, not just a selected few, rather than let them eventually crumble into dirt.
10. That you don’t drink and drive. And that if you do, you get arrested before you hurt or kill someone.