So, rude drivers drive expensive cars?

A UC Berkeley study reported by the Los Angeles Times found that people who drive those cars appear to be more likely to cut off other drivers and pedestrians.

As part of the study, the Times reported, observers hid near a four-way-stop intersection in downtown Berkeley and noted the makes,  years and conditions of cars and whether the drivers waited their turn at the intersection.

They found that people driving the most expensive cars were four times as likely as drivers of the least expensive cars to enter the intersection when they didn’t have the right of way. And it was even worse when it came to yielding to pedestrians.

The Times said those findings, reported Monday in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, led the researchers to conduct a series of experiments that found rich people also were more likely to cheat to win a prize, take candy from children and say they would pocket extra change given them in error rather than give it back.

To read the full account, go to the Los Angeles Times story by CLICKING HERE.

———–

Comments

1. Itsme

No surprise. BMW drivers are the rudest.

February 27th, 2012 11:44 pm

2. gweedore

Surprise! Surprise! and why do they get a free pass?

February 28th, 2012 6:34 am

3. Ronald

Extrapolating that conclusion from observing one intersection, as a “part,” of a study is like claiming the rest of the US is like New York City after spending a few days there.

February 28th, 2012 7:45 am

4. sarkyfish

They forgot to watch bike riders, who are the rudest of all.

February 28th, 2012 7:47 am

5. James

I have been saying this for a long time. As a one-time Harley rider the drivers in cars that put me in jeopardy the most, with no consideration…were those in BMWs, Audis, etc.

February 28th, 2012 9:15 am

6. Surprise Surprise

Expensive or not…nowadays everyone drives w/their egos & are impatient! It is EVERYONE’S (motorist/cyclist/pedestrians) responsibility to behave w/caution & respect! I hate the roads today!

February 28th, 2012 10:36 am

7. jawbreaker

It is called ENTITLEMENT MENTALITY,
    and it is rampant in our society boys & girls.

February 28th, 2012 10:51 am

8. Mike

I’ve got a saying: “Leave it to Beemer.” Helps me occasionally avoid cussing robustly whenever some sense-of-entitlement-having BMW operator does something idiotic on the road. Unfortunately, this happens often enough that an uninformed listener would probably think I was mumbling a rosary or something…

February 28th, 2012 5:28 pm

9. twel166154

Really?? You needed a study to find that people who drive BMW’s and Mercedes are rude and do not wait their turn? Anybody driving for more than a week knows this.

February 28th, 2012 5:37 pm

10. Ronzo

REALLY!!!! I hope they didn’t spend alot of money on this study to figure that one out.

“ENTITLEMENT MENTALITY”…. thats for sure!!!

February 28th, 2012 6:22 pm

11. Cranky

As an old-school BMW enthusiast, I regret that a bunch of imperious jerks felt invited to the party.

Let’s not overlook the important role of monster trucks, Chevy Tahoes (especially black ones with fancy wheels), Cadillac Escalades, any Land Rover that is not wearing a lot of mud, and aggressive-passive dripping-with-sanctimony Prius drivers, as warning signs of roadway nastiness.

February 29th, 2012 8:08 am

12. noname

Part of the problem is because turn-signals are optional on most models of BMW. Apparently.

February 29th, 2012 10:26 am

13. raintoday

Wow – hope they didn’t spend a lot of my (tax payer) money on that one – I’ve been composing a letter (in my head) for years to the car manufacturers asking about when they made “directionals part of the option package” – and I’ve been noticing how the use of turn signals appears to be inversely proportional to the (apparent) cost of the car for 30 years ! And, during some of that time, I was a State employee – could have been getting paid for all this cogitating. My observations are anecdotal but I do notice the overall trend – more expensive cars GENERALLY are more likely to not use turn signals, to jump through 4-way stops, to not look around when making lane changes or other actions that require thinking and judgement and observation . I like your forum – Thanks !

March 1st, 2012 7:42 pm

14. Phil Snyder

I’ve noticed that BMW drivers seem to be the rudest, most inconsiderate, and speed lawbreaking on the road. It’s gotten to the point that I laugh when I’ve guessed what kind of car is speeding up behind and swerving around me or cutting me off! I will never buy a BMW for that very reason. “The ultimate driving machine?” How about “The ultimate jerk machine!?”

May 22nd, 2012 7:54 am