Here’s a question from a reader:

Over a week ago I saw a group of about 20 cyclist heading north on Old Redwood in Windsor. This was a two-lane stretch near Hembree Lane with a clearly marked bicycle lane. About half of the cyclist rode in the designated bike lane, but the other half rode in the right hand lane, forcing traffic to use the left lane to pass. Is it legal for cyclists to ride in the right lane when a designated bike lane is present? Len

The answer comes from the California Vehicle Code, which is: Only in specific instances, none of which appear to meet the circumstance you described. Here’s what the code says:

21208.  (a) Whenever a bicycle lane has been established on a roadway pursuant to Section 21207, any person operating a bicycle upon the roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride within the bicycle lane, except that the person may move out of the lane under any of the following situations:

(1) When overtaking and passing another bicycle, vehicle or pedestrian within the lane or about to enter the lane if the overtaking and passing cannot be done safely within the lane.

(2) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(3) When reasonably necessary to leave the bicycle lane to avoid debris or other hazardous conditions.

(4) When approaching a place where a right turn is authorized.

(b) No person operating a bicycle shall leave a bicycle lane until the movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided in Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 22100) in the event that any vehicle may be affected by the movement.


Here’s another question from a reader:

I’ve got permanent California handicap plates and placard. Am I legal to use disability parking out of state, all states? Dave

The answer comes from DMV spokeswoman Jan Mendoza, who said she believed most, if not all, states do. But to be on the safe side, she suggested calling the highway patrol/state police or DMV of the state(s) you’re planning to visit.

She said the California DMV offers for free to state residents who have a permanent parking disabled placard or disabled person or disabled veteran license plates that they can use while traveling out of state. They’re good for 30 days.

Not only does California honor disabled placards and licenses from other states but also from other countries.


If you have a question for the Road Warrior, please email it to


Follow the Road Warrior on Twitter via @PDRoadWarrior