It’s known as “lane splitting” or “splitting lanes.” It’s controversial, and it’s legal.

Now, the state Office of Traffic Safety has issued a survey of motorcyclists and drivers about their reaction to lane splitting, in which bikers snake their way between cars on Highway 101 or on local roads with two lanes going the same direction.

Here are some of the survey’s findings:

–77.6 percent of motorcyclists say they lane split, with 30.9 percent saying they do it all the time.

–7.3 percent of drivers say they’ve tried to prevent a motorcyclist from lane splitting. Of them, 43.6 percent said they did it because lane splitting is unsafe and 23.1 percent said it was because “it is unfair they get ahead of me.”

–67.2 percent of motorcyclists said a driver has tried to prevent them from lane splitting.

–91 percent of drivers said they have motorcyclists split lanes next to them nearly every day of the week.

–5.3 percent of drivers said they had been in a collision with a motorcyclist on a freeway.

–11.7 percent of motorcyclists say a vehicle had hit them while lane splitting; 3.2 percent said they had hit a vehicle.

–19.1 percent of drivers said they had witnessed a collision involving a motorcyclist who was lane splitting.

–36.6 percent of drivers “strongly approve” or “somewhat approve” of lane splitting, while 63.4 percent “strongly disapprove” or “somewhat disapprove.”

–53 percent of drivers know that lane splitting is legal.

The survey comes as OTS and the CHP have declared May as Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, publicizing reminders to drivers and motorcyclists to “share the road.”

OTS says after more than a decade of steady increases, motorcycle fatalities dropped in 2009, the latest year for which statewide data is available.

OTS says the key to legal lane splitting is for bikers to do so “in a safe and prudent man n er, being cognizant of overall traffic speeds, speed differences, spacing and lane changing patterns of surrounding traffic. Riding too fast is one of the most common things that motorcyclists do to make lane splitting unsafe.”

To read a past column on lane splitting, CLICK HERE.

———–

Comments

1. Vincent

I used to lane split when I rode a motorcycle and did so in a safe manner. I didn’t race up the middle 20 over traffic or anything and I had people swerve at me, honk, try and block me, dangerously, it was crazy. What the hell is wrong with people?! Its dangerous enough on a motorcycle without people trying to intentionally hit you or create a hazardous situation.

May 3rd, 2012 6:48 pm

2. Common Sense

Like the bicycle crowd, most motorcyclist are overtly dangerous and think everyone around them owes them something on the road. Must be something about having two less wheels means you can only drive with half a brain. 90% of all the people I see on motorcycles are speeding, changing lanes abruptly, splitting lanes at 20 over the rest of us…no matter how fast we’re going, popping wheelies going down the road….the list really goes on and on. Law enforcement is almost completely out of the picture, you NEVER see a bike pulled over, mostly because there’s no way to catch them and they know it.

May 3rd, 2012 11:00 pm

3. plepgeat

So, 7.3% of drivers admit to assault with a deadly weapon against motorcyclists because lane splitting is either unsafe or ‘unfair?’

Good to know that the old “10% of all people are total creeps” rule is slightly exaggerated…

May 4th, 2012 7:33 am

4. rasputin

Well if I see a Harley that usually always has loud pipes I tighten up so it makes it difficult for them. If they are going to ruin the sound quality of everyones life I at least can repay them the favor. I was in Yosemite and you can hear that stupid hogs all over the valley floor. Loud pipes save lives, really ? how about wearing a helmet? If I see a normal bike that is being a good rider I give plenty of room. You get what you give .

May 4th, 2012 8:02 am

5. G

To Common Sense:

Your comments couldn’t be any further from the truth, and you have no clue what you are talking about. You don’t see people speeding in cars and making unsafe and abrupt lane changes (usually with no signal or warning)??? Yes, there are a few bad seeds in the motorcycle community, but there seem to be a lot more and a lot worse automobile drivers out there in this county.

May 4th, 2012 8:05 am

6. leenart

So going faster then what is safe, lane splitting through a construction zones….these would be…legal or illegal?
    Well if you are a CHP officer both of these are legal to do. How about we do a survey on all the illegal moves the CHP does by the Rohnert Park CHP Office?

May 4th, 2012 8:13 am

7. Chris

I spend about 6 hours of my day on bay area freeways. I don’t ride two wheels, but I am always looking out for these folks on motorcycles. I make every effort to MOVE OVER and allow them MORE ROOM to get by. Not only do they know that I see them, they now have a safer area to ride, even if only for one car length because the moron in front of me has moved INTO their path.

I wonder why the poll did not show how many of us moved over to allow MORE room? I guess there are too few of us that do.

Let them pass! Let them get along faster than us with four wheels. They risk more than us in cars, are more exposed and therefore should get more reward!

May 4th, 2012 8:17 am

8. BMW Rider

“43.6 percent said they did it because lane splitting is unsafe and 23.1 percent said it was because “it is unfair they get ahead of me.”

Lane splitting is unsafe so Mr. Car Driver will deliberately create a “safe” situation by blocking a lane? And it’s “unfair” ?

Mr. 100% brain car driver – I’m sorry you’re stuck in traffic wasting time and burning gas going nowhere. It’s very frustrating. But that’s no excuse to violate section 245 of the California Penal Code with your gas guzzler.

I guess us “half a brain” motorcycle riding folks getting 50 mile per gallon and not wasting time sitting still aren’t as smart.

Yes there are idiots on motorcycles, just like idiots in cars. But that’s no excuse to try to kill or maim someone just because you can’t move ahead in traffic, while the motorcyclist can.

May 4th, 2012 8:18 am

9. Marc

This is out of the DMV motorcycle handbook and it discourages lane sharing!

Lane Sharing
    Vehicles and motorcycles each need
    a full lane to operate safely. Lane
    sharing is not safe.
    Riding between rows of stopped or
    moving vehicles in the same lane
    can leave you vulnerable. A vehicle
    could turn suddenly or change lanes,
    a door could open, or a hand could
    come out of a window. Discourage
    lane sharing by others. Keep a center
    position whenever drivers might be
    tempted to squeeze by you. Drivers
    are most tempted to do this:
    • In heavy, bumper-to-bumper
    traffic.
    • When they want to pass you.
    • When you are preparing to turn
    at an intersection.
    • When you are moving into an exit
    lane or leaving a highway.

May 4th, 2012 8:30 am

10. leenart

BMW rider, ignore the trolls. What I have learned is no law will protect you, only yourself. I cycle 40 mile per day to work and we get harassed just as much as motorcyclists by vehicles. Law enforcement is pretty much not willing to get involved even with a plate and multiple instances of swerving into the bike lane with an SUV to try to hit you, but they will crack jokes and laugh at you when your on the ground with a broken back from a car that failed to yield at a stop sign. What all this taught me is the law and law enforcement are NOT going to protect you so it’s up to YOU to protect yourself.

May 4th, 2012 8:47 am

11. Steve

“11.7 percent of motorcyclists say a vehicle had hit them while lane splitting; 3.2 percent said they had hit a vehicle”

So why is lane splitting still legal? It’s clearly dangerous.

May 4th, 2012 8:55 am

12. Matt

Like most things I say “how does this affect me?” If I am driving a car, It does not affect what I am doing or where I am going at all. If I am on a motorcycle, I will get to my destination quicker, I’ll have less wear and tear on my clutch, the bike will run cooler and run more efficiently. Once again, no down side there either. So What’s the problem? Why do four wheeled vehicles try and block motorcycles? If two automobiles could share a lane, and it was legal, would they? You bet they would! By the way it is called “lane sharing” not “lane splitting”.

May 4th, 2012 9:16 am

13. Disgusted

I’ve never been on a motorcycle in my life…always seemed too dangerous. I’m just disgusted by the immaturity and meanness this survey brings into view. Apparently, some of you are even proud of the fact that you’ve never outgrown temper tantrums when things don’t go your way.

Lane-splitting seems dangerous and unfair to me too, but I don’t expect everything in life to conform to my wishes and as a member of a civil society, I don’t take it upon myself to “teach them a lesson”. To risk another person’s life because you feel that their lawful actions are unfair is childish. If you feel strongly about it, work to change the law. Losers.

May 4th, 2012 9:20 am

14. Vincent

Marc-
    Get with the program man. This isn’t about lane sharing its about lane splitting.

May 4th, 2012 10:24 am

15. Moto Rider

Marc – Yes the DMV motorcycle handbook does discourage lane splitting but you should take into account the target audience of that handbook which is new motorcycle riders. I think that’s good advice for new riders. Lane sharing requires quick actions at times and you should be competent in evasive maneuvers which new riders usually aren’t.

Chris – I commute on a motorcycle and I’d like to say thanks for keeping an eye out for us riders. I personally don’t expect people to move over for me but it is appreciated especially if you’re driving a bigger truck. When I can, I usually throw a hand up to people like you as a thank you.

To those that think lane sharing is dangerous – For a competent motorcycle rider riding in moderate to heavy traffic, it’s usually safer than the alternative of sitting in front of a 3,000+ lb. car hoping they see the traffic ahead coming to a stop. The next time you drive by an accident where a car got rear-ended, try to imagine how well someone sitting or standing between those 2 vehicles at impact would fair! A motorcyclist in that situation has no chance to avoid the accident and the impact with a 400 lb. motorcycle won’t slow that car down much. On the other hand, a side impact from a car changing lanes at least gives a competent motorcycle rider some sort of fighting chance to reduce the severity of the accident.

To those that are annoyed by motorcycles sharing a lane – Would you really feel better if instead of riding motorcycles we took our car or truck and added to the congestion that frustrates you?

The fact is, there are a——- in this world, some drive cars and some ride motorcycles. Most motorcycle riders are good people who will treat you with the same respect you treat them with. We are sons, brothers, fathers and husbands, we are daughters, sisters, mothers and wives, we are the young and the not so young but most of all we are just like you.

May 4th, 2012 10:40 am

16. Jesse

If you kill someone because you cut them off while they lanesplit/laneshare you will most likely be charged with vehicular manslaughter, think about it.

May 4th, 2012 10:45 am

17. Susan

I always thought it was called white-lining. Oh well, by any name it scares me. Not for my sake but for the biker. A rider has a much harder time starting up again after a stop, and when it is in heavy traffic the stopping and starting is much more difficult. Plus the emissions are worse.
    Anyway, is this practice any worse than the driver on your right side in a diminished lane rushing to the front of a line of traffic in order to cut in when his lane ends? This, to me is much more irritating. Would you like someone to come up against you in a line of people at, say the bank, and sidle up to you in order to take a place in front of you as the line moves? Same thing.

May 4th, 2012 11:29 am

18. Kate

Lane splitting and Motorcycles have increased and I have come to expect it and make it a point to be looking and listening for their approaches.

If any of you have offspring or other loved ones out on a MC you wouldn’t be trying to further endanger them.

Although it doesn’t look safe, I might be tempted to try it if I was a motorcyclist in slow traffic.

May 4th, 2012 12:07 pm

19. rik

what I find hillarious is that motorcycles don’t seem to split parking places. they have this oversense of entitlement. I’ve driven bikes for over 40 years but never found it necessary to insist on being a (jerk)

ESPECIALLY racing up between cars when the normal driver keeps a percentage of his attention to the traffic in front of him.

get a clue bikers, there is a reason you go down so oftern.

May 4th, 2012 12:34 pm

20. Todd

OOO I feel bad for that 7% that blocks motorcycles from passing. I think I know this guy….. He doesn’t like when people do that…..He likes to instead punch/ kick your mirror off when you do that…Looks fun, I would NEVER do something like that lol

May 4th, 2012 12:40 pm

21. HD RIDER

Car pool lanes are open to bikes 24-7 i use them too!

May 4th, 2012 1:16 pm

22. Offroad41

Many good points and ridiculous ones! My friend once said lane splitting is like moving to the front of a grocery line because your skinny! I think he is one of the block type driver… Lane splitting is good as long as you use common sense. Opps I forgot a few human lack this!!!

May 4th, 2012 1:21 pm

23. CJ

I don’t like it because I can’t always see them or hear them and I’ve almost hit them. I can see vehicles to my left and right but can’t always see motorcylces and personally I should only have to be looking for who’s in the lane beside me not who’s in between us. I think they should have to be in a lane just as if they were a larger vehicle, either behind or in front of other cars and not be allowed to be inbetween lanes. I fail to understand why they were ever allowed to do that.

May 4th, 2012 1:27 pm

24. derek

Originally made official because CHP used motorcycles that were air cooled and frequent stops & slowdowns caused overheating. As nearly all newer models are liquid cooled, the argument fails. This practice is dangerous and should be banned as it is in all other states & countries.

May 4th, 2012 1:29 pm

25. Thumper

I have been a rider for 40 years. I have had several close calls, mostly people on cell phones ….Lane splitting is like anything else in life……in moderation and using commen sense. I have my own ersonal rule. 1) I never split lanes with a rider on back, legal or not, it is not my place to expose them to the danger. 2) If traffic is moving at 15 MPH or less. 3) Never in a construction zone or where there is a traffic accident causing the back up. The law used to be limited to 15MPH or less for years. The REASON that lane splitting was first introduced was because most or all motorcycles back then were ‘air cooled” and had to keep moving to avoid damage. Things have changed, but the above I feel are good, sound practices.

May 4th, 2012 2:05 pm

26. just another rider

I ride every work day all year, maybe not so much in the rain but otherwise i’m always riding. Most of the lane splitting I do is at the stop lights, the cars aren’t moving. IMO this is actually safer than waiting in the back for someone to rear end you. I’ll also split lanes if traffic is slow and there’s room. There’s nothing rude about it, it is not cutting in line because the cars are gonna be stuck in traffic regardless of weather or not a bike splits through. There’s always an added risk when riding on a motorcycle as apposed to a car, I think that lane splitting has the potential to increase that risk, but then again it also has the potential to lower that risk. Like everything else you just have to use your best judgment, I’m absolutely in favor of it and at least for now the law is on my side. Everyone cars and bikes just need to drop the attitude and be considerate.

May 4th, 2012 2:26 pm

27. Dave

Google “Phoenix Motorcycle Crash” to find out what happens when motorcycles are rear-ended.

While lane splitting is inherently dangerous, the potential for serious injury is far less than the alternative.

May 4th, 2012 5:13 pm

28. Safedriver

leenart, disgusted, I agree totally with your statements. Thumper those are excellent guidelines for lane splitting.
    To those taking chances by using your vehicle to discourage lane splitting, that kind of conduct can easily be taken as a threat to one’s life. People have guns. Lot’s of people. Do you want to die having a hissy fit over something so petty? This could be a real possibility. Just saying…

May 4th, 2012 6:56 pm

29. Banjoboy

Wow! What a bunch of self-righteous, global-warming, arrogant road clogging bundles of joy we have here.
    I have news fer y’all, there’s only so many dead dinosaurs rotting in the ground, and too many people driving on the roads, so the only sensible thing is to ride a motorcycle. @ 40 to 100 mpg, yer saving the dead dinosaurs, and if everybody who could would ride, there wouldn’t be any traffic problems.
    I know, ya can’t eat a cheese burger, read the paper while talking on the phone, you actually have to pay attention to the task at hand, and drive, but try it, ya might like it.
    Don’t be a weak coward, step up and ride. 

May 5th, 2012 6:42 am

30. jason

“Would you like someone to come up against you in a line of people at, say the bank, and sidle up to you in order to take a place in front of you as the line moves? Same thing.”

susan-

that is not at all the same thing.

when someone cuts in line in front of you at the bank, you’ve got a legitimate reason to be angry. they are taking your place.

when a motorcycle lane-splits past you, does it take you longer to get home as a result? no.

you’re just being petty and trying to force everyone else to share in your misery. stop it.

May 5th, 2012 9:30 am

31. BMW Rider

My bike is oil/air cooled, so standing still for very long isn’t an option because it will overheat. If traffic is moving enough that I don’t have to constantly hit the brakes or clutch, I usually don’t lane split.

I would seriously consider supporting a traffic law that prohibits lane splitting when traffic is moving in excess of 30 mph.

In my experience, most people are courteous and if they are aware of you, will make room.

May 5th, 2012 11:28 am

32. Pat

Well, I don’t mind if they pass safely, as long as they pass. Being on 2 wheels, they do have a better reason to keep moving. If they are willing to be labeled ‘donor’ just to get 50 mpg, that is their prerogative. Just don’t sneak up behind us like a CHP did last week. I nearly ran him over. I have a camper and just as I decided to changed over a left lane, to let onramp cars on, a motorcycle CHP decided at the same time to fly around from behind my truck and get into the same lane.

May 5th, 2012 5:09 pm

33. Ashley

I understand both sides here. I usually move out of the way so the motorcyclists can pass by easily. That said, if I’m stopped in rush-hour traffic I can’t always do that as there may not be room in front of me to move. More than once, a motorcycle has hit my side view mirror because it’s wobbling as a result of going too slow, or it’s going too fast to swerve away in time. None of these motorcyclists has stopped (as they should in any accident) and I’ve had to have the mirror replaced as a result. I’m furious over this.

There needs to be better enforcement and motorcyclists should not ride between the traffic lines if they’re not capable of doing so safely. CHP needs to get off its butt and have bike cops out there enforcing safe riding.

Both motorcycle and bicycle riders need to realize that they do not own the road and need to learn to share as well. It’s not as easy for a car to stop suddenly, or share a tiny lane and riders need to be aware that they are extremely vulnerable as a result. There is really no accountability on their parts, and cops need to start pegging them for not sharing the road responsibly.

May 7th, 2012 2:00 pm

34. Dave

The lane splitting law was originally passed because at the time motorcycles were all air cooled and physically could not sit in stop and go traffic without risking engine damage. There are still a lot of air cooled motorcycles on the road today.

May 8th, 2012 1:47 pm

35. Cameron

I am a lifelong car guy, a cyclist and I’ve owned motorcycles. You know that I do when I see some in my mirror lane splitting? I move towards the shoulder and make room for them. I usually do this anyway in traffic so the car behind me, if it happens to be texting or applying make-up, can see the brake lights in front of me, not just mine. But then again I also stop for people waiting to use crosswalks and try to give cyclists room, or slow down until it is safe to pass.

May 8th, 2012 7:36 pm

36. Juvenal

“Lane Splitting” is a fantasy, related to the idea of two motorcycles riding side by side. The reality is that motorcycles pass cars by riding between the lanes. I’m okay with it so long as the cars are in a stopped or slowed condition. Riders who do this at 50-60 miles per hour should have their licenses revoked.

May 13th, 2012 7:59 pm

37. Rev. WJ West

Explain to the jury why you pulled in front of the motorcycle Mr. Driver.

May 22nd, 2012 9:42 am

38. Steve H

Lane splitting was added to give air cooled bikes a chance to keep moving and not overheat. In stop and go traffic and you don’t go 10 mph over existing traffic speed, its totaly legal. Splitting a lane @ 55mph plus with traffic moving is not ok.

May 23rd, 2012 4:21 pm

39. Zetau

Steve H, I don’t know where you get your specs, but there is only one rule: “The general rule of the road, not driving faster than conditions allow.” A CHP officier once told me that if he’s getting scared pacing a splitter, the splitter gets a ticket.

Car drivers: you should be grateful for lane splitters. Just think of each of them in another car like yours … they save your traffic time. If everyone rode … hey, where’d all the traffic go?

Drivers are not looking-out for a motorcyclist’s safety while they deliberately squeeze them into another car or open their car door. It’s jealousy.

When splitting lanes, the safer place to ride is between two cars. A driver that intentionally and successfully hits a motorcyclist is usually arrested for assault with a deadly weapon, or worse, assault to commit manslaughter. I saw a driver specifically take down a motorcyclist, unaware it was a CHP. The cop approach the driver with his weapon drawn.

This is not joke, and the far majority do not take it that way.

May 25th, 2012 8:46 pm

40. Gary Pedersen

I was driving an 18 wheeler on Hwy 29 just out of Middletown years ago, and the speed limit is 55 which I was doing. I was in an older truck and with the noise it made, I had no idea there was a guy on a motorcycle on my side until he got to my door, with traffic going the other way. If I would have just wandered over the the center line, all I would have seen was nuts, bolts and body parts. Not a cool thing to do.

May 29th, 2012 7:35 pm

41. Shocked

“7.3 percent of drivers say they’ve tried to prevent a motorcyclist from lane splitting.” this means 7.3 percent just admitted to (at best) assault with a deadly weapon, or (at worst) attempted murder.

May 31st, 2012 8:12 am

42. RobG

Why can’t people just live and let live? I hate loud-piped Harleys too but why mess with them? Just let them by and get on with your life.

I split every single day that I ride. I rarely had any trouble with other motorists. Yeah occasionally someone would try to block me, but it was rare, and they never won. The vast majority of people just moved over and let me by.

June 26th, 2012 1:22 pm

43. Randy

Motorcycle safety starts with the rider, but everyone sharing the road must also try to understand what it is like to be on a motorcycle. I ride every day with the assumption that everyone on the road is actively trying to kill me or at least I am completely invisible to them. On the road, it is fight or flight. Motorcycles don’t win fights, so flight is the only option. Typically when I slam on the throttle I am often trying to escape a situation that has become dangerous for me. It might seem to the person in the car next to me that I just cut him off and went off speeding down the road, when actually I was signaling for the last mile to get over, but he could not see my smaller signals, and he had me pinned in behind a big rig that was kicking up rock and debris in my face. Of course none of those thoughts occurred to him at my time of suffering and all he saw was a motorcycle just cut him off. Peoples reactions to motorcycles often astound me. Intentionally blocking the way of a defenseless rider? Are you people completely out of your mind? The best possible outcome is the rider is aware and stops, what do you get from that? Sure, you can smile and say nany nany no cuts. What if he misses his brakes bounces off your car and goes into a pole and gets crushed to death by his motorcycle? Do you really think anyone deserves that? I have had people put me in these situations more often then anyone should have to endure. But, as I said… I ride with the assumption everyone on the road is trying to kill me, judging by some of the comments here some of you actually are.

September 5th, 2012 9:54 am

44. Zach

I am a former motorcyclist, though I haven’t owned a motorcycle since moving back to California earlier this year, so I haven’t had to decide for myself whether I would “lane-split” or not.

In any event, what really gets me is when the lane-splitters are SPEEDING and lane-splitting. Lane-splitting being legal does not give you a license to speed; if traffic is moving at or near the speed limit, get in line with the boxes, bikers.

This should be an instant reckless driving ticket of the most severe variety.

September 6th, 2012 4:27 pm

45. Diabla

Susan, I love how you manage to violate multiple laws of physics: “A rider has a much harder time starting up again after a stop, and when it is in heavy traffic the stopping and starting is much more difficult. Plus the emissions are worse.”

Erm, what? A motorcycle stops faster, accelerates faster, has 0 issues stopping and starting in heavy traffic, and the emissions are a faction of a car’s. You probably watched that Mythbusters episode, which only tested air-cooled engines. My BMW is water-cooled and has several emissions controlling features, so combined with the 45+ MPG I get, there’s no contest. Another thing people fail to mention is manufacturing costs, and it takes a hell of a lot fewer resources to craft a 700lb bike than a 4000lb Camry.

November 7th, 2012 11:00 am

46. Brian

For those of you comparing lane splitting to cutting in line, let me present an interesting fact:

According to a detailed study by Belgian consultancy Transport & Mobility Leuven, if 10% of cars were replaced by motorcycles in the traffic flow, time losses for ALL vehicles decreased by 40% and emissions were reduced by 6%. A 25% switch from cars to motorcycles, would eliminate congestion entirely (http://www.gizmag.com/motorcycles-reduce-congestion/21420/).

I think the more accurate metaphor would be your are waiting in line at the bank and some nice gent on a motorcycle comes up and shortens the line for you by several spaces. The polite thing for you to do would be to thank him not hinder his ability.

To think that, by lane splitting, motorcycles are wronging you in some way is so narrow minded. The reality is that they are helping everybody on the road get to their destination faster and taking great effort and risk to do so. So be courteous the next time you see one of us motorcyclist safely splitting lanes!

Like everything in life, lane splitting has its pros and cons. But I truly believe that if done safely, the pros far outweigh the cons. Here are the pros and cons decide for yourself.

Pros:
    -Encourages people to ride motorcycles and reduce congestion
    -Reduces congestion further
    -Takes motorcycles out of the very vulnerable position of being bumper to bumper with large cars and trucks
    -reduces rear-end collisions which are possibly fatal for the motorcyclist

Cons:
    -Increases minor side swipe accidents
    -Is unfair in the mind of small-minded individuals who can’t see the big picture.

Finally, as far as motorcyclist being bad and aggressive drivers, I couldn’t disagree more. Riding a motorcycle forced me to be more tentative, focused and safe than I ever was in a car. I drive defensively and with vigilance because, after all, I am greatly exposed. I don’t talk on the cell phone, listen to music, eat, etc. Sure there are a few bad apples and a guy on a sports bike popping wheelies while lane splitting at 80 mph stands out a lot more than the guy in the camry who nearly side swipes you, tailgates you to death because your not going 20 over the speed limit and cuts in front of you with no warning. The latter happens to me daily. The guy popping wheelies I really ever see.

January 9th, 2013 11:20 pm

47. Mike

Swerve at me and I’ll kick ur mirror off and ride away. Hit me when you swerve and hit me and loud pipes will be very low on the list of things that make you uncomfortable.

February 1st, 2013 9:16 am

48. klroth025

I like Brian’s analogy, but I will make it better yet.

It would be like being mad at the people who use the outdoor drive up deposit only box. They have to have their deposit ready to go with a completed slip, all checks signed, and placed in a bank deposit bag. Then they can just skip the line, drop the bag, and go.

The complaint would then be… That’s not fair. They should have to look for a place to park, park their car, go into the bank, fill out the deposit slip, wait in line for a teller, give the teller the deposit, wait for a receipt, leave the bank, go to your car, and then you can go like everyone else.

And by the “blockers” logic, it is ok to then… see a person WALKING up to the outdoor deposit, drive your car over the curb onto the sidewalk and use the car to physically block access to the outdoor deposit box. If your abrupt maneuver causes a collision between you and the pedestrian, or if the pedestrian falls or hurts himself trying to get out of your way, too bad. They shouldn’t be allow to get in front of YOU!

Sounds kind of petty when you look at it that way. I’ve got an idea. It is legal to “split lanes”, so the motorcyclist has the right to do so, within reason.

I have an idea for a new law. If you INTENTIONALLY block or attempt to block a motorcycle that is proceeding in a lawful manner, the charge will be reckless operation with intent to do bodily harm. That would make any would be “vigilante cagers” think twice.

And just a quick FYI for people who like to use their cars as weapons… A person with a CCW permit, when presented with a situation that threatens his or her life, can respond with deadly force. Keep that in mind before you swerve.

February 16th, 2013 6:41 pm

49. DMG

Thankyou if you read down this far. First two comments (vincent&commonsense) are great examples of opposing view points. Like most things lane splitting is good in moderation and there are times to do it (not at 100mph). Motorcycles change lanes fast, they do everything faster they are typically 1/10th the weight so it is expected. Understand that typically cars piss off trucks, motorcycles piss off cars etc. You can’t ignore the physics of the vehicle you are responsible for.I drive a motorcycle, car, pickup, on and off-road for work I don’t drive either of them like the other and adjust my driving style to the location in city or country.. and the worst thing you can do is invest your ego in a lane position

November 8th, 2013 6:56 am