A collections of comments from Road Warrior readers:

Rude neighbors in cul-de-sac

We live at the end of a cul-de-sac with little to no parking spaces for the three end houses (ours included). There is ample parking for all the other homes in the cul-de-sac. We keep our cars in our garage or in our driveway. Our neighbors do not use their garages for anything other than junk. We constantly have neighbors and their guests park head in, thus blocking part or nearly all of our driveway. I honestly cannot believe how rude drivers are here in Santa Rosa. There have been times (too many to count) in which we cannot get in or out of our driveway. We have also had drivers block our mailbox to where we cannot even get to it. We have lived on other cul-de-sacs in other areas of California, and in other states. No one would ever dream of parking head in at our other neighborhoods.

I know it is not legal to park head in according to the vehicle codes. Can you inform your readers that this is so? I believe the vehicle code states something to the effect that both passenger side wheels need to be less than 18 inches from the curb to be legally parked . . . impossible if one is parked head in. It is also my understanding that the vehicle code stipulates that a car’s front end or tail end has to be a certain distance away from the driveway cuts.

For goodness sakes, can people really not park legally in the cul-de-sac and walk a couple of extra steps? Are they really that lazy?

Pretty fed up in Santa Rosa,

Jeanne-Marie

P.S. Before anyone asks, “Well, then why did you move there?” The answer is as I stated above….we have never experienced this on other cul-de-sacs where we lived. I never expected to experience such rudeness here.

P.S.S. I just read your article about washing cars in the driveway. Thank goodness it is legal. I do it all the time. I cannot afford car washes.

Latest 101 mess

The latest reconfiguration of 101 S just before Rohnert Part has made traffic leaving Santa Rosa during commute hours a big mess — back-ups start before the Todd Road exit. Can you find out how long it will be before they fix this? This latest development is so frustrating that I’m willing to drive miles out of my way to take Stony Point to Petaluma just to avoid it if this configuration is going to last more than a few days.
I still don’t get why the Sonoma County construction has come to feel endless, where the Marin improvements over the past 6 or 7 years, which I also commute through, seem to get done fairly quickly and create much less impact on the traffic flow. I “‘get” that the work being done through the Santa Rosa corridor is much more extensive but still…
Thanks for all the info you put out there for us drivers!
Lisa

From the Road Warrior: I’m sorry to say but I think we’re stuck with the reconfiguration until later this summer when Caltrans opens up the Rohnert Park stretch of 101 to three lanes both ways.

Gawking at 101 construction

I just spent 55 minutes driving from the last Petaluma exit where the casino is to Rohnert Park Expressway! If it was rush hour and there was an accident, I’d be OK with it, but it’s almost 2 a.m. on a Wednesday! With the construction there are plenty of signs miles before the construction zone, plenty of cones and plenty of CHP. It was 1 lane for a bit, but traffic should have been moving slowly instead of at a complete stop. However, there are way too many idiot drivers that slow down to look at the construction equipment and they’re even slower than they do for an accident during rush hour. Do you think there is anything the CHP can do to move people along faster when they are driving slow and in some cases coming to a complete stop for no reason in the middle of the night? I look forward to your reply. Thanks, Steve

From the Road Warrior: I think a lot of drivers get intimidated by the bright lights in the construction zone and the equipment and slow way down.

——————–

Comments

1. Rex Faktor

Hey, Jeanne-Marie…you remind me of a location I lived at for a while where I experienced the same rudeness…sometimes I could not even back out of my driveway.
    So, having little patience for rudeness, I decided to dish out some of the same. Using a large floor jack, I moved an unskilled driver’s vehicle (locked and in gear) from behind my car so I could get to work. I left it in the center of the cul-de-sac (plenty of room to get around it) and I still wish to this day I could have seen the look on their face when they tried to figure out what happened.
    I only had to do this once. Pretty sure people were peeking through their blinds at me.

June 29th, 2012 7:12 pm

2. Dave W.

While I sympathize with people who get screwed by others inconsiderate parking habits, I don’t think this is a Santa Rosa thing. You can get a good collection of neighbors here also or an unlikeable set anywhere. I find it more interesting that Jeanne-Marie finds it rude to obstruct other’s driveways but thinks nothing of fouling the public waterways.

June 30th, 2012 10:30 am

3. Jethro

Why didn’t you respond to the first issues?

June 30th, 2012 10:53 am

4. Winston Wolf

I agree with the rude drivers here in this town. It gets worse and worse it seems. My girlfriend it permanently disabled due to cancer and we recently received a disabled parking placard. I never noticed until then how many people park in those spaces with no disabled placard or plates. And some of them think it’s OK as long as they leave a person in the car. Ticks me off.

June 30th, 2012 1:12 pm

5. ER

I got stuck on traffic on 101 going southbound between 8:00-8:30am one morning last week in the area between Rohnert Park and the top of the Cotati grade. It was a “phantom” traffice jam as all I could see to be the cause were people stopping to look at construction vehicles on the side of the road and workers unloading stuff onto the shoulder of the road. Once I got past that, traffic started moving again. Before that, it was stop-and-go, more stop than go. I couldn’t believe it!

June 30th, 2012 1:39 pm

6. Barry

Late night traffic jams caused by lane closures are also partially caused by drivers who wait to the very last minute to change from the closed lane to the open lane. They then (sometimes) put on their blinker and expect to be let in to the open lane, just because they put on their blinker. People in the open lane slow to let these people in, thus creating the stopped traffic. These selfish drivers who wait to the last minute are only concerned that they pass “one more car,” and could care less that they inconvenience everyone else. If people would begin merging into the open lane when clear, when the “lane closed ahead” signs first appear, traffic would flow more smoothly. Except for the people who are mesmerized by flashing lights and construction equipment.

June 30th, 2012 9:17 pm

7. Jeanne-Marie

Dave W. – you need not be concerned about me fouling waterways – I only use water and elbow grease to wash my car – no soap!

I also would like to know why there was no response to my request.

July 1st, 2012 12:43 am

8. Road.Warrior

Jeanne-Marie,
    You answered your own question about parking. However, the state allows cities to permit angle parking, for example, so readers will have to check with their individual cities for any local allowances.

July 1st, 2012 9:20 am

9. Tracey Rivers

The person concerned about being blocked in their own driveway can call the police department to report the blocking and they will send an officer out. It might take awhile for them to arrive though.
    You could try leaving a note on the car that is blocking, that is if it is the same car each time.

July 1st, 2012 2:46 pm

10. Patty

I live in a cul de sac, bought a basketball hoop and put it along the curb in front of my house. I’d rather see kids playing basketball instead of cars parked in front of my house. No one has complained and no one dares to park by a basketball hoop!

July 2nd, 2012 12:10 pm

11. Morgan H.

@ Dave W.
    I know Jeanne-Marie has already replied, but let me tell you, If you’re truly environmentally conscious, you wouldn’t own a car. %85 of the fuel you burn is wasted just by moving parts in the motor, that’s only %15 fuel efficiency per gallon. So until these ‘greenies’ start to learn the truth behind everything they preach, I recommend you use an environmentally safe (biodegradable) car wash formula, and stop supporting these capitalistic regime’s of car wash locations our local governments are trying to relegate us to.

They’re just as bad as washing your car anywhere else. why do you think they don’t want you washing your vehicle’s motor there?

July 5th, 2012 1:04 pm

12. Diana M.

We also live in a cul-de-sac and I can’t fathom why anyone would ever attempt to park parallel on a curved street. They always end up way too far from the sidewalk, and three cars take up the space that six could be parking in! It makes zero sense. And what does parking nose-in have to do with blocking someone’s driveway?Sounds like two totally different issues to me. People park logically and fairly without doing it in front of anyone’s driveway all the time.
    This makes no sense to me.

July 9th, 2012 3:28 pm

13. Myrtie Webb

Slowing down through construction sites is the law . It is not gawking.

July 22nd, 2012 11:57 am

14. Ryan

If you are annoyed with your neighbors, ask yourself, have you ever tried going to their houses and being a cordial, intelligent adult and addressing the problem with civility? Why is it the responsibility of the state to enforce common sense and courtesy? Get to know your neighbors, and in particular, when a new neighbor moves in, go to their house, offer some friendliness, and let them know that you’ve had some issues with blocked driveways. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar you know. Many people who are annoyed with others, are just afraid to confront and resolve problems, and they sit and stew and get annoyed because they are too timid to face the problem directly. Santa Rosa used to be a family oriented town, now people are such shut-ins they will live next door to someone for years and not know their name… and would rather complain to animal control, leave anonymous notes, or call the cops than go talk to a neighbor about a problem. Please don’t waste our precious tax dollars having the state acting as the good neighbor police. That’s like being the guy who called the cops because the deli made his sandwich wrong.

July 22nd, 2012 12:59 pm

15. kathy w

What is going on with all the Redwoods being cut down at 101 north and south at Airport.Those are beautiful trees that have been there for years and now just stumps.When was the public ever told about this so call whatever it is project that is going on? Does anybody ever question these situations.Thought the freeway projects were done now.Also how about all the wildlife that lives in those trees? I don’t get it we either use land that was once important agriculture for walnuts,apples,dairy’s livestock of some sort and made into a vineyard.Don’t get me wrong grapes are great but don’t we have enough now? This county has lost important agriculture and now alot is probably concrete! Enough all ready.The people should be able to decide what takes place,especially with the Redwoods as this is what Northern California is known for!!!

February 20th, 2013 7:17 pm