Hey, when are they going to install the bike path next to the (SMART) tracks? This is the reason I voted for it. – Aways by bicycle
It’s complicated, SMART officials say, but it’s coming, piece by piece. You’re talking about 71 miles of trail between Larkspur and Cloverdale, 54 miles of it along railroad right of way and 17 miles on city streets.
Parts of the trail have already been built, some are under construction, some are ready to begin and the rest are awaiting environmental clearance, regulatory permits or funding. For details, listen to Chief Engineer Bill Gamlen’s January update to SMART’s Board of Directors, but in a nutshell:
* The Calpark Tunnel has been completed in Marin County;
* Healdsburg has built the Foss Creek Trail;
* Caltrans will build the trail between Novato and Petaluma as part of the Highway 101 Novato Narrows project;
* Sonoma County Regional Parks will build a section connecting Hearn Avenue with the Joe Rodota Trail;
* Santa Rosa will build a section between Eighth Street and College;
* SMART will award design/build contracts this spring for seven more segments near train stations, including one segment in San Rafael, three in Novato, one in Cotati, two in Santa Rosa.
Want more? Get the powerpoint report here.
Follow the Road Warrior on Twitter via @PDRoadWarrior.