Question: I was sitting at a stop light in Petaluma last Saturday at the intersection of 6th Street & “D” Street, which turns into a country road and is a popular motorcycle route.  A group of about 150 motorcycles comes into town and blocks the intersection, stopping traffic so that their group does not get split up at the red light(s).  They block the intersection for two or three traffic cycles while their group rides into town uninhibited by the annoyance of having to stop at the red light(s).  They were clearly feeling empowered by their large number and disregarded everyone.  I thought of calling it in and wondered if that was an appropriate response. How would police deal with this situation? — Steve

Answer: We see this from certain “groups” when they are participating in organized motorcycle runs and it is completely illegal. We encourage you to call CHP or local police when you see it occur. The problem usually is that by the time we respond they have moved on. However, if we do get an initially complaint we can take measures to be around to prevent further illegal traffic control. — CHP Officer Jon Sloat





Be Sociable, Share!



  1. jeff

    lol, when bicycle groups do this, it’s called “critical mass”. Motorcyclist do it and they’re law breakers. What a silly world we live in.

    July 8th, 2013 9:18 am

  2. Ken

    The problem, Jeff, is that the bicycle riders aren’t cited and/or arrested. The motorcyclists need to have that same treatment.

    July 8th, 2013 3:22 pm

  3. Ned Travaglini

    Now that the convenience store and the last house on the east side of Stony Point are empty, when is work going to start on widening of Stony Point just south of Sebastopol Road? I see a lot of road work going on city, state and county roads and none of it in Southwest Santa Rosa. Thank you.

    July 8th, 2013 4:04 pm

  4. Road.Warrior

    PG&E will come next, burying the utilities. Real road widening work will start next spring if money is available. Read the full answer from city traffic engineers in this recent Road Warrior post.

    July 8th, 2013 6:01 pm

  5. Ned

    Thanks for the info and link to post about Stony Pt.

    July 12th, 2013 1:51 pm

Submit Your Comments


Required, will not be published