Here’s what’s on the minds of Road Warrior readers this week.

A speed limit bugaboo

Can you clarify for your readers what the speed limit is on Highway 12 between Fulton Road and Farmers Lane? Please, as a public service, let the public know that the speed limit is 65 mph from Farmers Lane all the way to Fulton Road!

It frustrates me when I get on Hwy. 12 going either direction from Hwy. 101.  When I ask random people what they think the speed limit is, I get the same answer — 55mph!  I know what the speed limit is, but obviously other people don’t see the sign posted on the right side when they enter from Hoen Ave.  The only other sign is at Fulton Road if you are coming east from Sebastopol.

I believe everybody still thinks it is 55 mph because that is the last posted speed limit anybody saw a few years back when they were doing construction.  Why aren’t there more speed limit signs posted on this stretch? Thanks in advance for your assistance in getting the word out FINALLY! — Michele H.

Easing the Farmers Lane congestion

The article (about Santa Rosa’s most exasperating traffic lights) notes three traffic light problems on Framers Lane.  Imagine the Farmers Lane traffic 20 years from now.  Why has the state decided that they will never extend Rte. 12 on the land they’ve held for decades?  That land should not be turned into a park; it should be preserved until we have wiser DOT leaders. — Ralph S.

Aware or confused?

I have noticed many new digital signs around the county that inform a driver of how fast they are going.  While I think these signs are a great reminder for people to slow down, I question the wisdom of having them be the same colors as a speed limit sign.  It seems to me that the part of the sign that says your speed is should be some other color, like yellow on black, rather than the black on white of a speed limit sign.  Does anyone else think that these signs could be a source of confusion for some less aware drivers? – Jon Y.

Comments

1. Safedriver

Hwy 12 speed limit may be 65 but the entire interchange around Hwy 12 and Hwy 101 is very rough road on most of those ramps and merge areas. Combined with heavy traffic getting on and off the ramps faster than 55 mph is dangerous through there. The only decent ramp in the whole maze is the East bound 12 onto South bound 101. Far too many lane changes going on to safely zip through it at 65 mph.

September 11th, 2013 7:25 am

2. Andy

I agree, Ralph! We’d soon regret letting that land go. You never know, maybe a few more decades down the road we’ll get our pension problems under control and have the money to build a tunnel under Spring Lake.

September 11th, 2013 11:29 am

3. Sam

The speed limit is not a requirement.

Also, I am very skeptical of how extending the freeway 3.4 more miles is going to fix traffic. Remember the idea of ‘latent demand’, when people see more available lanes there is a strong tendency to fill them up so adding more lanes does not cause traffic to disappear, just extends it into a new neighborhood and destroys a county park in the process.

September 11th, 2013 3:47 pm

4. Dennis Byrne

I agree with safe driver. I generally pull over to the right for anyone wanting to go faster than I care to drive, but through the 101 overpass area to Stony Point Road I stay to the left to avoid the congestion from all the traffic trying to merge on and off Highway 12. That section of Highway 12 is a nightmare with traffic often backed up onto the Highway.

September 11th, 2013 4:23 pm

5. Smart driver

I have to agree with Safedriver and his comments. Although the speed limit is 65, it much to congested to zip through those areas at 65. I frequent that intersection sometimes as much as 4+ times a day, and I like going the speed limit, but with all the merging going on around there, I slow down in those areas, at least until I get past Stony Point Rd.

September 11th, 2013 5:36 pm

6. rexfaktor

Re: Hwy 12 speed limit – I’m thinking additional speed limit signage would help, but some of 12′s drivers would be better off on Sebastopol Road or Third St…the freeway is for the big kids. An extra exit-only lane for the WB12 Stony Point off-ramp would help those who want to travel 50 from 101 to SPR.

Re: Farmer’s Lane – Highway 12 could extend to Summerfield, wrap around Montgomery to Mission…as -one- alternative to crossing the park. But face it, roads and related infrastructure do not make top of the financial priority list for our current “leaders,” for several reasons. Ralph is right. RW, was there an election decades ago where Santa Rosa voted not to build Hwy 12 as designed?

Re: digital speed radar signs – what is the system for determining the location to place these? Is it complaints of speeding cars, or is it somewhat more random? I see them in spots sometimes that seem somewhat useless.

September 11th, 2013 7:18 pm

7. Bill

Also the person placing the mobile radar trailer for the SRPD needs more training. I have on at least 3 times with it posted with the incorrect speed limit. The last time was on Chanate right before the entrance to east bound Fountain Grove.
    The trailer was parked right under a cautionary speed sign of 30 mph. So they set it up with a 30 mph sign. But the actual speed limit in that area is 35 mph.

September 15th, 2013 10:09 pm

8. Bill

Usually on Hwy 12 on this stretch you can do 65 in the fast lane. So if you don’t want to do it; don’t drive in that lane. Also I think a bigger problem is people not knowing how to merge. The on ramps are long so you can accelerate to freeway traffics speed and merge smoothly. The problem is people merging onto the freeway at 30, 35, etc. mph.

September 15th, 2013 10:13 pm

9. nospam

lol the speed limit is a MAXimum not minimum! no about of signs can force people to drive faster. maybe leave earlier next time.

the difference between 55 mph and 65 over a 5 mile stretch of road is 50 seconds. oh no someone made you less than a minute late! leave 2 minutes earlier next time there Mario Andretti and you’ll arrive safe and sound a whole minute early!

October 2nd, 2013 4:08 pm

10. JLR

Thank You for pointing out the 65mph speed limit on Hwy 12. I drive between Fulton and Farmers Lane daily and am frustrated by all the slow drivers. I agree Bill that people don’t know how to merge. If you are not exiting or entering Hwy 12 around the 101 interchange, stay in the left lane and go the speed limit. If you are trying to merge onto Hwy 12, get your speed up so as not to make everyone hit their brakes because you are going 35mph.

October 11th, 2013 11:54 am