Ben wrote to say that Highway 101 was strangely calm during his Thursday morning commute from Santa Rosa to Penngrove, and he was puzzled.

“Is there a local holiday I don’t know about? Something? This is just too weird to be random,” he said.

“I was able to maintain the speed limit the entire time, and there was ample distance between most cars… nobody seemed held up or unable to pass. There wasn’t even a backup at the Penngrove exit. I couldn’t believe it! It’s like it wasn’t rush hour.

“I traveled this route during my usual commute time, leaving Santa Rosa at 7:45, which usually guarantees a traffic nightmare, but not this morning. My girlfriend, who left 15 minutes earlier than I did, noticed the same thing, as did a coworker… now we’re all curious what made this morning commute so smooth. Where were all the cars?

If you have the answer, chime in. This riddle isn’t going to get solved by the usual sources.

————————-

Send Road Warrior questions to Linda.Castrone@pressdemocrat.com.

————————

Comments

1. Traffic

Zombie Apocalypse.

October 25th, 2013 7:59 am

2. Sam

everybody takes the Thursday before Halloween off work, common knowledge

October 25th, 2013 10:53 am

3. Adrianna

I noticed the light traffic thurs morning also. I figured everyone just chilled out for once and drove like normal, considerate and kind people should =) Thank you SoCo commuters!

October 25th, 2013 11:32 am

4. jen

I left early 8:30 am for an appointment in So. Marin. Traffic so light, I got there way too early!! It was puzzling.

October 25th, 2013 11:59 am

5. ER

Happens sometimes. I remember some years ago, a local
    organization got some State transportation people to come here and evaluate the late afternoon traffic on 101, which was usually horrible. That particular day, though, it was light. The State people looked at the local people and said, “What’s the problem?”

October 26th, 2013 7:09 pm

6. Monster Joe

Probably no cops sitting on the side of the road slowing everyone down. Most of the time there’s a clog on the highway it’s everyone jamming on the brakes because law enforcement is trying to slow down traffic and collect revenue. Or an accident, but I consider those more innocent.

October 27th, 2013 11:52 pm